Saturday 1 January 2011

My top 15 tracks of 2010

Now the calendar has flipped over to 2011, it's time for me to jump on the bandwagon that every other J-pop blogger seems to do, and put out an update where I tell you all my particular favourite songs of the past year, normally with YouTube links embedded for extra prettiness, and to point out just how awesome these tracks are.

Well, I better not disappoint (even though at least one of my tracks isn't a single track, but an album track, and so a live version may have to be found)

This has been a very interesting year, in my opinion, with good and, well, not so good tracks being brough out by several groups, and it has also seen a bit of a shuffle in my favourite groups, with one or two newcomers elbowing their way into my listings.

Before launching into my countdown, I will first give a few honorable mentions.

First honourable mention;

AKB48 - Heavy Rotation

This track is a typical release from the AKB stable (please, no horse jokes), combining a good song, with a saucy video. Even if you don't like the group, OR the song, it has to get a thumbs up for the pure quantity of lingerie clad ladies in the video!



Second honourable mention;

Morning Musume - Moonlight Night ~Tsukiyo no Ban da yo~

This is the first of my Album tracks to get into my list, and is a stunning, fast paced and fairly heavy track. I had to root around for a live performance of this, as there is no video for it - but it's great live (I saw it in Paris, so I know!), but this version from the Genki Piki Pika tour has much better production. Enjoy!



Third honourable mention;

Berryz Koubou - Shining Power

This was to be the last single by Berryz for 2010, and was a great end to the year for them. This song gave Yurina the chance to be the focus (and doesn't she look stunning!)



Right, now it's time for me to start my countdown in earnest.

Seriously, this was very hard for me to do, originally I intended to make this a top 10, but really couldn't leave out any of the tracks included, as I felt they needed to be there.
For those who know me, you may be a bit surprised at the outcome, but truly, this is how it ended up.

In 15th Place;

Mano Erina - Haru no Arashi

This is the first Mano song to really catch my attention. Before this, I thought she was an average soloist - albeit a very attractive one - but average, song wise.
Her stuff was always listenable, but ultimately, best for going to sleep listening to (and I did use it to put me to sleep for a while!).
This song, however, is relaxed, while also having the elusive spark her previous releases were missing, and probably made me into a bit of a fan.



In 14th Place;

Berryz Koubou - Maji Bomber

A truly rocking song from Berryz Koubou, and I was surprised it did as badly as it did in the Oricon. The only reason it didn't get higher on MY chart, was due to the high level of quality of releases it had to fight against. A good summer song, from my 2nd favourite group!



In 13th Place;

Momoiro Clover - Coco*Natsu

Momoiro Clover are a relatively new group to me, as I only really got into them while I was in Japan this autumn - yes, I will eventually get around to blogging about it here - but check out my YouTube page for my Video Blog about it.
Anyway, this is actually a B-side - but unlike Hello!Project, the creators of this group (Stardust Promotion Agency) go the extra mile, and have made PV's for all 3 of the tracks from the Pinky Jones single.
An extremely fun summer song, with a very silly video (with some fairly dodgy suggestiveness - a trait Momoclo are getting it seems), and so catchy!

co-co-co-co-co-co-co-co-co-co co natsu! woo!




In 12th Place;

C-ute - Shock

The first single of 2010 by my No.1 group - and it was basically an Airi solo, with some backing vocals by the other 4 members.
Because of this it got alot of slating by fans of the other members (I am actually primarily a Chisato fan - and was disappointed to see her once again pushed towards the back - and her solo version is not fun for me to watch, as she hardly sings anything, and looks unhappy), but it is actually, in my opinion, a very good song.
I can listen to it over and over (and did - 1485 plays on iTunes, in 2010), and so it lands in my list. Very good, but once again overshadowed.



In 11th Place;

Morning Musume - Onna to Okoto no Lullaby Game

This was to be Kamei Eri, Jun Jun and Lin Lin's final single with Morning Musume, and what a sending off they got!
The almost arabic sound to this song made it a very 'interesting' song at first, for me, but it soon grew on me, and the PV is very good too, the dance is, erm, interesting, with the "point at our nipples then do a very wierd body swing and head jerk" thing going on. Don't they look beautiful though?



In 10th Place;

Ogawa Mana - Hitoribocchi no Watashi

Nudging into the top 10 of this last year, is what may be one of the most beautiful songs I have ever heard. Ogamana is an extremely talented singer with Nice Girl Project (for those who don't know), being both a member of Canary Club, and a soloist, and doing Anime songs as well.
This song leaves me speechless everytime I listen, as well as leaving a tear in my eye too. If you only watch one of these clips - make it this one!



In 9th Place;

Mano Erina - Genkimono de Ikou!

I earlier mentioned that Haru no Arashi was the song that made me notice Mano as a decent artist.
This was the song that proved it to me. A really upbeat song, with a video that is 100% insanity, and a complete change from your everyday H!P video make this a firm favourite of the year.



In 8th Place;

S/mileage - Onaji Jikyuu de Hataraku Tomodachi no Bijin mama

The (at this time) latest single by S/mileage, and hopefully the last of the insanely long - and impossible to remember - titles, is a fast paced, rock song, with the trademark cuteness of S/mileage, and the added touch of a cameo appearance of ex-Morning Musume & W member, Nozomi Tsuji.
S/mileage have fast become one of my favourite groups, and I can also report they are awesome live!!!



In 7th Place;

C-ute - Aitai Lonely Christmas

My favourite group once again pulled a blinder, by finally giving me a Christmas song I love to listen to over and over, complete with a video that is just purely perfect for the song (Chisato looks especially stunning in it too!)
A sad song, but it certainly made the grade as far as I'm concerned!



In 6th Place;

Sugaya Risako - Elegant Girl

This is a song made for the Anime "Mecha Mote Iincho", and Risako voices the part of Himuru Ibu, and this is her song.
From the second I heard it, I knew it'd be awesome - I love the sound of a Spinet or Harpsichord, and the music is based around that sound (I expect as they are an elegant sounding instrument, and Ibu-sama is meant to be an elegant, if snooty, girl (hence the title))
A really catchy song, and Risako looks mind blowingly beautiful in the video - if a little pouty.



In 5th Place;

Berryz Koubou - Tomodachi wa, Tomodachi Nanda

One of my all time favourites by Berryz, this is a happy, summer song, and I really love the video - Captain looks particularly magnificent in it, possibly at her best!
I like the cheerfulness of the song, and like that all the girls get solo lines in it.



In 4th Place;

Morning Musume - Ooki Hitomi

Oddly, apart from one, all my Morning Musume favourites have been album tracks, rather than singles, and this is my highest ranking song by Morning Musume this year.
I love the autotuned style of Sayumi's voice, and how it rivals the pure singing talents of Eri and Reina (I don't mean Sayumi can't sing, so don't get all bitchy on comments, lol, she's my 2nd favourite Musume after all!)
The song is massively catchy, and has a great disco style, and I can (and often do) play it on repeat for several plays.
As it didn't have an official video, I had to find another concert version, but again, it's a good one! Genki Pika Pika was a good show!



We now reach the top 3 songs of 2010, and for me, these 3 were the only easy part of the list. They stand head and shoulders above the others (like Yurina, standing with Momo, Captain, Chisa and Karin)

In 3rd Place;

C-ute - Dance de Bakoon

Ahh, I love the smell of Bakoon in the morning! I also love the sound of C-ute in the morning, so what better way to start my top 3, than with C-ute's dance song of the year, Dance de Bakoon!
Awesome song, and an even better dance! Who can resist Chisabutt! not I :P
Also, this was the song that heralded a strong change in Chisato's standing within the H!P community, her solo 'home dancing' version of the video is the most viewed H!P video by a huge ammount - having just under 900,000 views (at time of writing).
This huge viewing figure has now paved the way for more videos for her, and two solo concerts. Finally, people are waking up to this girls amazing talents!



In 2nd Place;

Momoiro Clover - Pinky Jones

Sadly, the full on awesomeness of this video is unavailable, as I cannot find a version with the 2 minute introduction included, but those who have the CD (limited A) will agree, the extra bit makes it even better!
The acting ability of Momoclo is awful - which makes it even better (and Momoka - my favourite, in green - is awful at sports) - and the whole scenario is silly, but the song is completely addictive, and I will think nothing of repeating this song for an hour or more, it never fails to bring a smile to my face.
I can see this group being a serious contender to H!P groups (and they did battle against Berryz Koubou's 'Shining Power' with this track - and it was very close indeed.

Chappa Chappa!



So, we come to the final spot. Will it be held by C-ute, My favourite group? Will it be some obscure group no one has heard of? or will my visit to the AKB Theatre, along with the live rendition of Beginner by ALL OF Team A have finally swayed me that way?

No, is the answer. My favourite group have been beaten into third place this year, and all it took, is a bunch of young upstarts to do it.

With just under 1200 plays since it was released on 26th May, averaging 5.4 plays every day.... this years song of the year, is.....

S/mileage - Yume Miru 15 Sai

This song blew me away the day it was released, being a very different song style to the previous 4 S/mileage songs.
It was their Major Debut song, and before its release, I didn't think anything could knock aMa no Jaku off the pedastal of No.1 S/mileage track. Then this came out, and did just that.
I love everything about this song, from the outfits, to the twinkly, dangly things. They all fit the song perfectly.
It is still my No.1 S/mileage song, and also my Number 1 song of 2010!




There you go, I guess you didn't expect C-ute to be No.3... or for Momoiro Clover to get anywhere, lol, but hey - if it's a good song, I listen to it.
I wish I had more space and time, to make an even bigger selection of songs, there was Lilpri too, that should have got in there, and the C-ute Musical theme song, gah, so much good stuff in one year!

Lets hope that 2011 brings an even better selection, and that my choices next year are even harder.

Happy New year everyone! Feel free to comment on my choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment