Saturday 7 November 2009

A bit Hangry but not that Angry

Well, my copy of the new Hangry & Angry CD - Sadistic Dance, arrived on the release date, from those lovely people at www.amazon.co.uk, and I was properly excited! To the best of my knowledge, this is the first proper UK release from anyone even remotely connected to the Hello!Project, and I just had to do my part to help them chart in the UK.




Well, out came my craft knife, to carefully crack the seal on the shrinkwrap - so I can put it back into the wrapper once I've ripped it, and perused the booklet, and this I dutifully did.
Soon it was ripped, and popped onto my iPhone for its first public performance (maybe first in the UK - as it was aired to my passengers on my bus, from 3.05 pm onwards on the day of release - three times in a row)

Well, down to business - I have listened to the album a few times now, and on the whole, I am impressed. They have got some good new songs - Top Secret is absolutely awesome, in every sense of the word, and I also like Mr Monkey alot, tho Lady Madonna is a bit wierd - with the repeated back-vocals overpowering the song sometimes, but my only real gripe with the album, is that of the "Crash Berlin Mix" versions of Kill me Kiss me, Giza Giza, Sadistic Dance and Angelia.

I mean, those 4 are absolute classics, perfect pop rock songs, but the remixes are all just that little bit weaker, and so I think just because of this, the album isn't quite as good as it could have been.

I come from a rock music background, before discovering J-pop, and so I know a good rock song when I hear one, and the originals of these 4 songs, are of a higher caliber than the remixes. This is normally the case with any remixes, in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong, it's still a great album, and everyone in the UK should buy it, but it only gets a B+, rather than the A* it would have had, if it had the original versions of those 4 songs.

2 comments:

  1. hmm i liked some of their songs on their first album, will defo have a listen of this asap. And a lot of people I have met who listen to j-pop have come from a rock background.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only listened to a bit of it. I wasn't epecting much. I didn't even really like the first album that much. Kill me kiss me was okay, and Angelia was catchy, but I couldn't get into the other songs. :/

    ReplyDelete